Friday, February 20, 2009

Younis wants to emulate Imran Khan

Agencies

Islamabad: Pakistan skipper Younis Khan wants to emulate former captain Imran Khan .

Younis Khan, who had refused the captaincy after the 2007 World Cup, made it clear he had taken up the challenge without any conditions.

"In the past whenever I was offered the captaincy I set my conditions," he said. "This time I have come in without any conditions."

The batsman said he wanted to emulate former captain, Imran Khan.

"When Imran retired, the team he built reigned supreme for the next eight years," said Younis. "I also want to leave behind a legacy of a team which remains among the top sides."

Pakistan is playing its first test after 14-months after Australia, the West Indies and India pulled the plug on scheduled tours mainly due to security concerns.

Sri Lanka's Mahela Jayawardene, set to step down as his country's captain after the series, said he was confident about his batting form.

"I see this series as any other series. I have enjoyed leading my country but now I want to contribute more as a player," he said.

"It's a good opportunity for me to executive my batting properly,"

Pakistan's 12 for the first test:

Younis Khan (Capt), Misbah-ul-Haq, Salman Butt, Khurrum Manzoor, Shoaib Malik, Faisal Iqbal, Kamran Akmal, Sohail Khan, Umar Gul, Mohammad Talha, Yasir Arafat, Danish Kaneria.

Sri Lanka from: Mahela Jayawardene (Capt), Kumar Sangakkara, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Chamara Kapugedera, Tharanga Paranavitana, Thilan Samaraweera, Malinda Warnapura, Muttiah Muralitharan, Chaminda Vaas, Ajantha Mendis, Dilhara Fernando, Farveez Maharoof, Thilan Thushara, Suranga Lakmal, Prasanna Jayawardene.

No comments:

Post a Comment